Did you know that January 15 is National Pothole Day? In honor of this bizarre holiday, here are some fascinating facts about the pesky potholes that plague our roads. Let’s dive in!
1. There are an estimated 55 million potholes in the U.S.
2. By 1909, the term “pothole” was commonly used by U.S. drivers.
3. According to a study by AAA, between 2013 and 2018, 16 million drivers across the country suffered pothole damage to their vehicles.
►You’ll also like: 7 Fun Facts About Traffic Cones
4. The same AAA study also reported that pothole damage costs U.S. drivers $3 billion per year.
5. On average, U.S. drivers report paying $300 to repair pothole-related vehicle damage.
6. The U.S. has more than four million miles of roads.
7. In 2017, vehicles traveled 3.2 trillion miles on U.S. roads, the Federal Highway Administration reported.
►You’ll also like: 6 Fun Facts About Fire Hydrants
8. According to the American Society of Civil Engineers’ 2017 Infrastructure Report Card, 1 out of every 5 miles of highway pavement in the U.S. is in poor condition.
9. Citizens across the world have come up with creative ways to draw attention to potholes.
For example, artist Jim Bachor of Chicago filled potholes with mosaics depicting ice cream.
Photo from huffpost.com
Other people have taken to “guerilla gardening,” planting flowers in potholes to help fellow drivers to avoid them.
And who doesn’t want to be warned about potholes?
10. Cityworks’ Pavement Management allows you to track materials, costs, work history, and pavement analysis data in one central location. Providing an easy-to-use communication link between Cityworks and pavement analysis tools like PAVER, Pavement Management assists in prioritizing work according to pavement condition, budgeted amount, and available resources. Click here to learn more.
And be sure to watch the video below to learn how SeeClickFix and Cityworks together enable citizens to report potholes and other issues quickly and easily.